Monday 1 December 2014

The Book Thief


I find nothing more relaxing than finding a good book, making a nice hot cuppa and getting comfy on the sofa to have a read. I really enjoyed reading The Book Thief. It's one of those books which is really easy to get into, although there were times when I didn't want to put it down, if I did and didn't read it for a little while when I did give it another read I still knew exactly what was going on.

Markus Zusak is a very talented writer, The Book Thief is a heart touching book which I think will become a new classic and it will still be read for years to come.

The narrator of the story is Death, and although this probably isn't a new concept, I've never read a book where death is the narrator. It was a little confusing for me at first, but once I got my head around it I really enjoyed this new aspect of story telling. I though it added a special, creative touch to the story.

The basic gist of the story is; Liesel, a young girl is practically left an orphan and is taken in by Hans and Rosa Herbermann. Liesel's life is change when she picks up a book, this is her first act of thievery. The tale follows the lives of this little family and you see Nazi Germany through the eye of a child, which I think is a great touch to the book. 

I really enjoyed learning about the Nazi and the Second World War at school and Uni, so I knew this book would be something I'd enjoy, I just didn't know how much. I would definitely recommend giving it a read if you haven't already and if you have read it let me know what you though of it in the comments.

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment